Sunday, June 17, 2012

Montana to Mount Rushmore

We left the hotel around 7:30. We were surprised at how well the kids had done the day before with our drive. Terryn was content to watch DVDs and Jayce did really well.

Our next stop was Billings where we were going to meet Sean's cousin Paul. I think we ended up getting there around 10:30 or so. We met him at a restaurant for brunch. He was there with his girlfriend Jenny and his daughter Rose. Rose was 4.

We had a nice time chatting. I took a group shot outside when we were done. After that we left to go to a park. There the Rose and Terryn got to run around and play. I went to Target to buy a few things. When I was done, I went to pick up everybody else and we started out on the road again.
At one point on our drive there was this ridiculously beautiful rainbow stretching across the sky. I don't think I've ever seen a rainbow so close to the ground before. It was like it went straight for a long ways. I pointed the rainbow out to Terrryn and he said, "Wow! A CHOO CHOO TRAIN!" apparently there was also a train passing us in that direction and that was more interesting to Terryn. Hahahahaha. He is such a boy.
I looked back at the boys at some point during our trip and Terryn was asleep with Jayce's foot on his head. Every once in awhile Jayce would be kicking Terryn in the face because Terryn kept trying to sleep on his feet and he didn't like it.

We saw a bunch of hillsides that had been burned. It looked like there had been a forest fire a couple years ago and the hillside was still scarred.
 We also saw something that I thought was awesome and surprising. Sean looked over and said, "Hey, aren't those 737s?" Sure enough I look over and there are 737 fuselages sitting on a train on its way to the Renton plant. Who would have thought we'd see that in Montana? We also saw a bunch of oil pumps.

The next destination on our trip was Mount Rushmore. I was hoping we'd get there before 8:00pm and I think we just barely made it. It was quite stunning. I wish we would have had more time to see the other sights nearby, but we only had time for Mount Rushmore.
Terryn was in the middle of major meltdown so it was difficult to see anything in the visitor's center. I wish we could have watched the movie they have there, but Terryn wouldn't let us. Oh well. We at least got to see the "Mountain with the Faces". Terryn really didn't want to see the mountain, but he sure did want ice cream and he kept saying it over and over. We were only there for a short period of time, but I think it was worth it. When am I ever going to be in South Dakota again? We could have tried to stay for the lighting ceremony, but that would have meant getting to our hotel at like 11 pm with two whiny kids. No thanks.
We stayed the night in a Hilton Garden Inn in Rapid City, using more of Sean's hotel points. It was nice and it was nice to be in a comfy bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment