Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Jayce Cayden McCarter

Our baby was due to be born on August 3rd. Sean's plane was due to land July 27th at 1:30 pm. Before we left Vietnam I had this feeling that our baby was going to be early. After about 3 weeks in the states, I was feeling pretty good. I hadn't really progressed much in the way of being dilated or effaced. I had an OB appointment the day before Sean was going to get here and I figure this baby boy might be born a little late. I was not effaced at all and I was only dilated to a 1.

I can't really remember what I did the rest of the day after my OB appt, but I knew that Sean was taking off from Ho Chi Minh City at 4pm Pacific Time. Everything else that evening was normal. I woke up around 3:30am per usual to go pee and noticed that my contractions were a little strong. I tried to go back to sleep, but I was too uncomfortable. Hmmm... I thought.... these feel like real contractions.

I thought about what I could do to pass the time since I wouldn't be going back to sleep. I decided to wrap the Christmas presents I brought back from Vietnam.

I was still having these strong contractions. I decided I'd better start timing them to see if they were regular. I was induced with Terryn so I never had to do this sort of thing the first time. As it turned out... they were all about 8 minutes apart. Seriously? Was I really going to start labor THE DAY Sean was supposed to get here? Would he even make it on time? My Dad gets up really early for work (4:30am) and he was laughing when I told him why I was awake. "Aren't you supposed to wait until tomorrow?" he joked.

I turned on the computer at about 5:30am and sent Sean an email. I told him to call me when he got to San Fran. I figured if he got online during his layover in San Francisco he'd know that there was a chance that his Mom would be picking him from the airport instead of me. The problem was that Sean didn't have a working US cell phone, so I couldn't even leave a voicemail message for him or anything. I was just counting on him to check his email. I did leave a comment after one of his Facebook posts that he made during his layover in Hong Kong saying that I had some strong contractions.

I think at about 5:45ish I went to the bathroom and discovered that I was bleeding. It was pretty red too so I was concerned. I called the Dr. on call at my OB office and they told me that I should go to the hospital. Uh oh.

I woke up my Mom and told her what was going on. Then I called Tina and asked her if she could come over and get Terryn. She got here in about 15 minutes. She looked very tired and was in her pjs. I had taken my time to get ready. I finished grabbing the rest of the stuff for my "go" bag, got dressed and ate some breakfast. I figured if I was really going into labor I should eat while I still could... before all I get is ice chips or water.

Then me and my mom were off to the hospital. We had to check in at the ER, then they led us to the birthing center and I was monitored for awhile. Everything was fine. They decided I had just lost my mucus plug. They said I could either go home or stay since my contractions were pretty consistent at 8-10 minutes apart. I elected to go home.

So I went home and I took a bath, put on some make-up and got dressed. Then I asked my mom to take me to the store to grab a few things for when Sean got here. While we were at WinCo, I was getting some pretty strong contractions. I met Jackie in the parking lot to give her some teething tablets and she said that was the only time I’ve looked really uncomfortable during my pregnancy.
Once we got back home I started timing my contractions again. They were getting stronger and were consistently 5 minutes apart. That’s when my OB had said to go to the hospital. I decided to make sure they were consistently 5 minutes apart for an hour before we left. Each contraction lasted for about 50 seconds.

During this hour of timing the contractions, I got on the computer again. I saw that Sean had posted something on Facebook, but had failed to call me. Obviously he hadn’t read my email. Seriously? Grrrr… Sean then had NO IDEA that I was going to have this baby THAT day. I think my Mom and I ended up leaving for the hospital around 12:15pm.
Sean’s flight was scheduled to land at about 1:30pm, so I wasn’t really worried about whether he’d make it to the hospital in time.

Sean called me, but I was in the middle of a painful contraction. My Mom couldn’t figure out how to answer my phone so the nurse ended up answering it. I’m sure Sean was confused at first. Then my Mom took the phone and told him I was having the baby, that we were in the hospital and that his Mom would be picking him up. I spoke to him and told him to have his Mom take him to my Mom’s house, get the car key from his Mom, dump off his luggage, grab the baby carseat and then get to the hospital. I got irritated at the nurse because she was like, “No. Don’t have him do all that. Have him get here. He’ll miss everything.” I was thinking, “Lady, my parents literally live 5 minutes from the hospital and the car seat is right next to the spot where he’ll be dumping off his luggage. It would take an extra 30 seconds for him to grab the carseat and throw it in the back of the car. He doesn’t need to install it correctly right now, but it would be nice to have it in the car. Is 30 seconds really gonna make a difference?”
Anywayz, Sean arrived at the hospital at about 2:30pm. He seriously got there just in time to help me. He was able to push on my back through the painful contractions and be there to comfort me. This was a huge contrast from my labor with Terryn. The contractions were so bad with Terryn that I couldn’t even let Sean touch me. The nurse then started to ask me if I wanted an epidural. I wasn’t sure. I was handling these contractions okay, but they were getting more painful and I was already getting worn out.
I was terrified that my contractions would be like they were with Terryn. I just couldn’t handle that again. Honestly I was too exhausted from the events of the last month to experience something like that. I don’t know if I’d have the strength and energy to push out a baby if I had pain like that again. I still hadn’t recovered from the sleepless night of taking Terryn to the ER on Sunday night.
I elected to have the epidural… and to have it somewhat early. I know… I know… I’m a big pansy. So they laid me in the bed and attempted to get an IV in me. The nurse had to try 5 different times to get one to work. I have the bruises to prove it. For some reason everytime she got one in they would blow out. They finally got one to work in my hand, but I had to keep my hand at a weird angle for the drip to work properly. They started me on some fluid and apparently I was super dehydrated. Then they eventually got the anesthesiologist in there to give me the epidural. I was really nervous that I’d get a spinal block instead. I kept twitching everytime he stuck me something, but he did finally finish the epidural and gave the test doses.

Everything was going fine until I felt like my left eyelid was drooping. I asked my Mom and Sean if my eyes looked even and they were like, “Yeah they’re fine.” After awhile though they decided that my eyelid was droopy. I told my nurse and they brought in the anesthesiologist who basically told me it wasn’t from the epidural. Ummm… yeah… I don’t think so buddy.

What really freaked me out is when I tried to blow my nose and couldn’t. I was numb all the way up through my chest and through my left side. Again, they brought in the anesthesiologist and they decided to put me on oxygen and turn off the epidural for a little while.
I had to laugh because I asked my Mom to take a picture of me looking real special with my droopy eye and the oxygen mask. I reminded me of the nebulizer that Terryn had to use from his ER visit.

Once they let the epidural wear off a little bit, I felt a TON better. My eye returned to normal and I could breathe easier. They then turned the epidural back on, but only at the lowest setting. I could still pretty much feel everything, but it just took the edge off the contractions. I could move my legs and feet and feel the contractions, but it just allowed me to be present and aware of what was happening instead of getting in that zone where all you can focus on is the pain.

My OB wasn’t the one who would be delivering my baby. The Dr. on call was named Calcumucio. They call him Dr. Cal. It was kinda funny when he came in because he was a large man, dressed in jeans and a T-shirt under his scrubs. He looked like a biker dude with tattoos on his big muscular arms and I think he had a moustache. I was like, “This guy is gonna deliver my baby? Okay. Whatever.” He checked my progress and then he said, “Well I’m just waiting on you so I’m gonna go take a nap and the nurses will come get me when it’s time.”

The epidural had slowed things down quite a bit, but after the break in the drip things started to pick up again. During the lull in the action, Sean took a nap, my Mom made a food run and then they ended up playing a game of Ticket to Ride. Right about the time they were done playing, things started to get serious. The contractions were consistently coming at about 2-3 minutes apart.

Then I remember it being go time. I think it was around 10:00pm. The nurses summoned my doctor and everybody was getting ready for the baby to come. This of course was the painful part. The epidural was on a low setting so I still felt quite a bit of pain. I remember thinking….. “I’m so glad I’m not feeling everything at this moment because this REALLY hurts a lot!” I was still numb enough that I felt like I had the weakest pushes on the planet. Was this baby ever going to crown? I don’t know how long I pushed, but it felt like forever. Everybody keeps telling you to do this or that, but you just find what works for you and go with it. Finally, baby Jayce came out. He cried immediately. They wiped him off quickly and then they laid him on my chest.

Honestly, I was in too much pain to really take too much notice of him at that time because I was still laboring with the afterbirth and then I had to be sewn up. All of that was painful.
My Mom managed to capture a photo of Sean seeing the baby for the first time. Such a cute picture.
Then we got some shots of both of us with little Jayce in my arms.
Jayce ended up being born at 10:33pm on July 27th... a week before my due date.
They let him stay on my chest for about an hour or two. They didn't really clean him up much, but he wasn't really that bloody and the white vernix is something that you don't really want to scrub off right away anyway because it such a great skin protectant and moisturizer for the baby.
It seemed like after holding him for a little while that all the gunk sort of disappeared anyway.
I was literally the only person who held him for the first two hours with the exception of the doctor and the nurse who handed him to me.
After about 20 minutes or so I was even able to nurse him. He did really well and has a really strong rooting instinct.
I was actually really surprised that Jayce didn't look more like Terryn. They definately look very different from each other.
We've decided that he looks more like a Dansie than a mini-Sean.
We managed to get one picture of my Mom with the baby before she decided to head home and get some sleep. She had after all been awake since about 5:30 in the morning. She left without holding the baby since I had still been the only one to hold him at this point.
Jayce was such a good little baby. He only cried when he was born and the rest of the time he was pretty quiet.
Daddy finally got to hold him after I was nursing and such. Then the nurses finally came back in the room to take his measurements. We had heard that every birthing room in the hospital was full, so they had their hands full that night.
Jayce weighed in at 8 lbs 6 oz and he was 20.5 inches in length.
Sean looks so happy in this picture. He was pretty exhausted at this point too. He was totally jet lagged and hadn't slept much, excluding the scant few hours he napped in the hospital.
Anna and Tina showed up shortly after Jayce was born and spent a little while holding him. Then they left for the night and it was just me, Sean and Jayce. We were super tired and it took the nurses quite awhile to get us set up for our over-night room. I was still waiting for them to take the epidural needle out of my back and to disconnect my IV. Eventually they got us into our over-night room. We elected for Jayce to have his bath in the morning and we all fell asleep.

Jayce has to be the best little sleeper in the world. He didn't cry once. In fact, I had to wake him up in the middle of the night to feed him and then he went right back to sleep. We actually got a pretty decent night's sleep, especailly when you compare it to our experience with Terryn. Terryn kept crying at night and so we got a miserable sleep.

In the morning the nurse came by to give Jayce a bath. She did it right in the room and only cleaned off the remaining blood. She said that they don't like to clean off the vernix anymore because it really keeps the baby's skin from peeling and getting eczema. The cool thing about our hospital stay is that the nurses never took Jayce out of our sight. He stayed in the room with us the ENTIRE time. I think that is awesome, especailly since he was such a little angel.

The next day Sean headed out somewhat early to go get Terryn and shower. I had kind of a slow morning with just me and Jayce. I took my time cleaning myself up, showering, putting on normal clothes and even putting on make-up. Jayce basically slept the whole time, but I put some cute clothes on him and fed him every few hours.
At around noon Tina and Julie showed up. Then my Mom came and Sean was right behind her with Terryn... or so she thought.

I had bought some gifts for Terryn that were from the baby. While Sean was at the house, he grabbed the bigger gift, but it wasn't until he was at the hospital that he realized he had grabbed the Christmas present for Julie instead. So then he went back to my parents' house and grabbed the right present.
It was just as well because a nurse was doing a hearing test on Jayce when my Mom arrived. It would have been bad timing to have Terryn show up then.
Terryn was so cute when we introduced him to his brother. He was so excited. He kept touching Jayce's head and face. Then Terryn would giggle. Luckily we got it on video because it is super cute.
Then we gave Terryn the present from the baby. It was a big Buzz Lightyear pillow. Terryn is obsessed with Buzz Lightyear right now so I thought it would be a good gift. Plus it's a soft gift so we won't have to worry about the damage it will inflict upon my parents' house.
He liked his present, but I honestly think he was more interested in the baby.
Hopefully he'll continue to be as sweet to Jayce as he was with him in the hospital. I think he loves his little bro already. Or maybe it's just that he doesn't realize that we're keeping him. At any rate, we are extremely lucky as a family.
I'm thankful Sean made it just in time to witness the birth of our second child. I'm thankful that everything went well with the labor and delivery and that it was such a better experience than my first one. I'm thankful that Jayce is such a little sweetie who doesn't seem to fuss at all. I'm also thankful that Terryn seems to have taken to him pretty well. We are extremely blessed.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I absolutely LOVE reading labor stories! I should have been a labor and delivery nurse I swear! What an exciting story. I'm glad your husband was able to make it. That picture with your boys faces together is so precious! Congratulations again!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm glad Sean was able to make it in time and that Terryn loves his little brother already. I think it took Josh a month to figure out that Lucy wasn't going anywhere and he should just get used to having her around :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's crazy! I'm glad Sean made it, I would have been freaking out if Brandon hadn't been there. So glad big brother is loving his little brother, so sweet. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete